Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Courtesy of Military.com

Many of today's service members find the possibility of attending college at a reduced cause enticing or an opportunity to redo previous college mistakes. "Before I took college granted," said Terrall, "this time I will definitely be way more focused and disciplined. That's definitely one thing the Marine Corps has done for me. I'm older and have way more experience under my belt." Returning from a war zone and re-establishing oneself as a college student can create a great deal of stress for returning vets. "I was a 24-year old freshmen when I enrolled in college. No one related to me or had experienced anything I had been through with the military. It could be frustrating and lonely at times," explains Staff Sergeant Dominic Dopico. Parents of some of these military men and women are overwhelmed and frustrated for their children. Kathy Halasynski, mother to Daniel Halasynski, is worried for her son's mental stability. "I don't know what he went through in Iraq, but I hate that he is here still stressed out and worrying about money. He served time for his country and he shouldn't have to worry about anything." The federal government and universities around the country are establishing programs that will help make this transition smoother for returning troops. An example of this is the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment